When an error message occurs informing you that real-time event processing is currently overloaded and may stop processing your events, this means that the microservice for Apama is either not running or not keeping up with the rate of updates occurring.
If there has been a recent large burst of updates (such as new measurements, especially when a number of large bulk measurement requests are sent), then this can trigger the alarm. If custom EPL applications are generating a large number of outputs or not processing events quickly, this can also lead to the alarm.
When the alarm is raised, older updates will be discarded. This may affect the behavior of Smart Rules, Analytics Builder models or EPL applications.
There are two ways to get the logs of the Apama microservice:
- Download diagnostics information as described in Downloading diagnostics and logs.
- In some cases, it is useful to view the log file of the Apama microservice using Cumulocity IoT functionality. See Managing applications in the User guide for information on how to view log files.
Contact Software AG Support if needed.
Downloading diagnostics and logs
If a user has READ permission for “CEP management”, then two links for downloading diagnostics information are available in both the Apama EPL Apps and Apama Analytics Builder web applications: one for downloading basic diagnostics information (the Diagnostics link) and another one for downloading enhanced (more resource-intensive) diagnostics information (the Enhanced link). These links are shown at the bottom of the web application’s starting page (that is, in the EPL application manager and in the model manager).
It may be useful to capture this diagnostics information when experiencing problems, or for debugging EPL applications. It is also useful to provide to support if you are filing a support ticket.
You can see a version number in the EPL application manager and in the model manager. It is shown next to the above links.
Basic diagnostics information is provided in a ZIP file named diagnostic-overview<timestamp>.zip and includes the following information (this should be typically a few Megabytes, and be generated in about 5 seconds):
- The microservice log file contents, if available, including a record of the correlator’s startup logging and the last hour or maximum of 20,000 lines of logging.
- Apama-internal diagnostics information (similar to the
engine_inspectcommand-line tools available in Apama).
- A copy of all EPL applications, Smart Rules and Analytics Builder models.
- A copy of any alarms that the Apama-ctrl microservice has raised.
- CPU profiling (over a duration of 5 seconds).
- Some information from the environment (tenant details, environment variables).
- Version numbers of the components.
Enhanced diagnostics information is provided in a ZIP file named diagnostic-enhanced<timestamp>.zip and includes the following information:
- Contains what is in the above-mentioned diagnostic-overview<timestamp>.zip file.
- In addition, it includes requests that are more resource-intensive and may significantly slow down the correlator, including EPL memory profiler snapshots and contents of queues.
What a user can see or do depends on the permissions:
- A user with only READ permission for “CEP management” has read-only access to the Apama EPL applications and Analytics Builder models.
- Without ADMIN permission for “CEP management”, the user is not able to activate or edit Apama EPL applications or Analytics Builder models.
- If a user has both READ and ADMIN permissions for “CEP management”, the user has read-write access and can access the diagnostics information.
- If a user has only the ADMIN permission for “CEP management” and no READ permission, the user is able to load, edit and deploy Apama EPL applications and Analytics Builder models, but is not able to see or access the diagnostics information.
Diagnostics REST endpoints
The following diagnostics endpoints are available for REST requests. These require authentication as a user with READ permission for “CEP management”:
GET only. Plain text format.
Prometheus metrics from the correlator. For details, see “Monitoring with Prometheus” in the Apama documentation.
GET only. ZIP file download.
Obtains the diagnostic-overview<timestamp>.zip file as described above.
GET only. ZIP file download.
Obtains the diagnostic-enhanced<timestamp>.zip file as described above.
PUT only. JSON.
Gives access to generic management requests against the correlator. For details, see “Shutting down and managing components” in the Apama documentation.
GET only. JSON.